We are approaching the Annual WHPOA meeting on May 3rd. This meeting is when we the WHPOA board election takes place. This is an important event and we hope that there will be a good number of members that will meet up. As we mentioned previously all the board positions are open. There are some candidates that have shown interest to take over the board positions and we look forward to welcoming them once they get elected.
Also the May 3rd meeting will be a combined annual meeting (elections) and regular board meeting so here is the tentative agenda:
Annual meeting and board elections
- Opening statements
- WHPOA elections
- Budget and financial status review
- Update on pool renovation project
- Update from Commons Director
- Spring Clean-Up
- Pool Operation
- Life guard recruitment
- Pool opening
- Pool party coordinator
- Open discussion
We look forward to meeting as many of you as possible on May 3rd !
We have an upcoming board meeting on Monday the 8th of March. We have some important agenda items to discuss, among others the need to find new board members for the upcoming year.
The meeting will be held at the Pizza King in Harbourtown Centre, Monday March 8th at 7:00 PM.
Here is the tentative agenda:
Although it seems that we are the deep of winter, we are nearing the end of February and before we know it spring will be here with all the great activities that we have here in West Harbour. Easter egg hunt, Spring garage sales, and the ever so popular Spring clean-up 🙂 .
In order for these activities and to continue to have a well functioning owners association it is imperative that we find some people that are willing to run for the currently open board positions. As we mentioned previously all the board positions are open. Some of us simply are busy with other things and would like to let other members have a turn at running the association and others, like me, are simply in the process of relocating. The sum of it is that if there are no members that are willing to take over these activities they may not happen and even more critical the pool opening and operation may be very difficult to accomplish.
So please let us put our heads together and make sure that we can recruit some of our members to take over the board positions. The health and operation of our community is at risk. Is that not important for everybody?
Please help us find our next WHPOA board members! Also, do not forget to look at the calendar and participate in our upcoming board meetings.
During the last board meeting there was a request from a property owner that we consider amending the association by-laws to provide a special exemption from dues to seniors and retirees. The request is to amend as follows:
“Any member retired and having reached the age of 65 years, and has resided at their present WH address for a period of not less than (25 or 30) years is exempt.”
After some initial discussions we believe that this topic has to be presented to the community for further discussion and debate. The following are a summary of comments and opinions that have been gathered so far.
- This sets precedence for different groups to ask for similar association fee reductions such as low income families, single parents, people with disabilities, etc. That being said it was mentioned that other association do have similar amendments.
- Our current revenue is not sufficient in the first place to provide the operations and repair that are required at this time. If we implement such a change we would have to either increase our dues (for paying members) or have to close down some our facilities.
- There was a remark that spending and investment on such items should be prioritized to allow for the revenue decrease and that we raise funds for repairs rather than use funds from the dues.
- We do not know how many seniors and retirees we have among our members and therefore we cannot assess what would be the impact on our revenue.
We have not yet inquired into what it would take from a legal and administrative perspective to perform such an amendment. Regardless, we believe that first of all this topic has to be debated by the broad member public, after which a vote will have to be taken. If there is a positive response we can pursue this further. Therefore it is imperative that everybody provide input. Please do so as comments to this post or by sending (email or other) your comments to any of the board member. We will add this to the agenda of the upcoming board meeting that will also have to include a decision about how we would vote and date for such.